FV & First Engine Rebuilds
So what do you get with an SR Rebuild or new engine and how much does it
Cost for a full rebuild of an existing running FV (or First)
engine runs about $950 (gaskets, seals, and bearings included). You are
called to discuss any significant changes to this estimate.
Call re: other V8's, Miatas, etc.
This includes the following:
- Full disassembly, clean-up and inspection of all
parts. All parts are checked for wear, breakage and legality per existing
SCCA rules (or other venues that you may request.) Weights dimensions,
etc. Head, manifold and carburetor flow measurements are all done on our
SuperFlow computerized flow bench. (After manifold, and head freshen.)
These numbers are provided to you with our assessment of where they compare
to others. BEFORE assembly, you are contacted and given all the above
info so that you can decide if you want to invest in any additional performance.
- NOTE: Parts are Ultrasonically Cleaned in a state of the art heated
- Any required minor lightening/balancing is done.
- Crank, Flywheel and clutch balancing done on our
CWT 5000 Balancer. (Please note that
the crank is balanced separately, then your flywheel is added and balanced.
Then your clutch housing is installed and balanced and pinned to the flywheel
and the full rotating mass is balanced again.) We are the only builder that
does this. The VOA clutch housing is notoriously out of balance and
without the above steps balancing is a waste of time.)
- The engine is then assembled. (Assuming no other
parts are needed, new main, rod, and cam bearings, ignition points and
spark plugs, along with all necessary gaskets are installed.)
- Deck height adjustments are completed.
- TDC marking is checked for accuracy (along
with crank and cam indexing).
- A leak down test is then performed on each cylinder.
- Rocker arm geometry is done.
- The engine is installed on the dyno. ( ALL
engines are dyno tested on our SuperFlow 902. (In some cases we may dyno on
the chassis dyno.)
- Oil pressure is brought up using a separate Melling oil
pressure tank. Your engine is NEVER turned until OP is proper. (Joe Gibbs BR-1 Oil is used to ensure the cam and lifters
- Several low load runs are made to make preliminary
checks and get oil to temp.
- Necessary, tuning, timing, jetting, and a final valve
lash and inspection is done. Using EGT and/or O2 levels along with HP
and BSFC calcs. (A new Air Density Gauge is used to take dyno cell
readings if requested.)
- Engine is checked for leakage.
- Oil is drained and visually inspected.
- Engine is removed from the dyno and all orifices sealed.
Engine is packaged with new exhaust gaskets and a spare set of valve
- An info sheet on future engine maintenance is provided.
- You are contacted to discuss results and shipping.
- A new* FV engine runs about $6000. (carb to clutch) However, there are many
variables and we often have fresh "used" rebuilds available. . Call us to
discuss your needs.
*Certainly there are no NEW FV engines, since many
of the parts haven't been built for 30+ years. However your engine will be
built with as many new parts as possible and all parts race prepped to
optimum SCCA specifications.
- A new Formula First engine runs about $3900. (carb to
clutch) Again there
are a few options.
All Formula First engines are built to optimum specs,
using new original VW parts and allowed new aftermarket parts.
This includes a dry sump pump oiling system.
- Call re: Miata or V8 Rebuilds
In regards to shipping, we have an account with Fed Ex
Freight can be used by you to ship inbound and outbound.
Our rates are often 1/2 what you might be paying now. This also allows
you to bill freight collect and this can be applied to your invoice. Contact
us in advance for info, to get the proper shipping rates..
If you prefer, you can deliver it yourself. It's a beautiful trip.
We sit in the middle of Kentucky Bluegrass / Thoroughbred horse country
Please call if you have any questions.
866-521-4007 (toll free)